The US still welcoming to Iran nuclear talks following Iran’s refusal

WASHINGTON — The Biden government said on Sunday, it open to talks with Iran beyond the 2015 nuclear deal notwithstanding Tehran’s refusal of an EU proposal to join a meeting with the U.S. and the other primary participants in the arrangement.

A superior enforcement official said the U.S. was “disappointed” in the refusal but was adaptable as to the timing and makeup of the talks and saw Iran’s choice to ignore the European invite as part of the strategic process. The official said the U.S. would be negotiating with the other members — Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia, and the European Union — on the way forward.

Main while the official was not allowed to address the matter by name and spoke on a position of anonymity.

 U.S. President Joe Biden discourses after the House of Representatives declared his $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., 

  Iran swung down the proposal for talks saying the “time isn’t ripe” for the meeting, at which the U.S. would have associated as an eyewitness. Iran had been declaring that the U.S. lift or ease penalties inflicted on it by the Trump presidency under its “maximum pressure campaign” before sitting down with the United States.

President Joe Biden has stated regularly that the U.S. would respond to the deal that his forerunner, Donald Trump, retreated from in 2018 only after Iran renews its full compliance with the agreement.

“Considering US/E3 positions & actions, time isn’t ripe for the proposed informal meeting,” Iranian international ministry spokesperson Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Twitter. He pointed to the so-called E3, which includes Britain, France, and Germany.

“Remember: Trump failed to meet because of his ill-advised ‘Max Failure,'” he said. “With sanctions in place, same still applies. Censuring is NOT diplomacy. It doesn’t work with Iran.”

Stliusong gathered that the Biden administration published earlier this month that it would accept an EU invitation to participate in a meeting of deal participants and at the same time rescinded a Trump determination from the U.N. Security Council that Iran was an insignificant breach of the agreement that all U.N. sanctions had been restored.

The U.N. move had a little practical effect as nearly all members of the world body had rejected Trump’s determination because the U.S. was no longer a participant in the nuclear deal. Biden administration officials said the withdrawal of the determination was intended to show goodwill toward its partners and at the same time had eased severe restrictions on the movement of Iranian diplomats posted to the U.N.

Separately on Sunday, the State Department condemned a weekend attack by Iran-backed Yemeni rebels on Saudi Arabia, saying it damaged prospects for peace. Along with the overtures to Iran on the nuclear front, the Biden administration also reversed several late Trump administration moves against Iranian-backed rebels in Yemen.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken revoked his predecessor’s appellation that the Houthi insurgents were a “foreign terrorist organization,” a move that the U.N. and aid groups had said would make the previously disastrous humanitarian status in Yemen even worse. In addition, the Biden administration determined to pause all disgusting assistance to Saudi Arabia for its military campaign against the Houthis in Yemen.

The Houthis, though, have moved up their operations in the country, pressing ahead with an offensive in the Marib region and starting attacks on Saudi Arabia.

On Saturday, Saudi officials said they had blocked a missile attack over their capital and reported that bomb-laden drones had targeted a southern region, the latest in a series of airborne attacks they have blamed on the Houthis.

State Department spokesman Ned Price on Sunday said the U.S. “strongly condemns the Houthis’ attacks on population centers in Saudi Arabia.” He said they “threaten not only innocent civilians but also prospects for peace and stability in Yemen” and called on the Houthis “to end these egregious attacks.”

“The United States remains committed to its longstanding partnership with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and to helping Saudi Arabia defend its territory as it faces attacks from Iranian-aligned groups,” Price stated.

On Friday, the Biden administration additional strained ties with the Saudis when it issued a declassified report finding that Saudi Arabia’s crown prince had organized an operation to capture or kill Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post journalist and U.S. resident who was brutally killed at the Saudi embassy in Turkey. Saudi Arabia has vigorously refuted the report’s outcomes.

___

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s