enough’: Israel Adesanya urges UFC president Dana White to fine fighters 90 PER CENT of their purse for missing weight
By Spencer Morgan For Mailonline16:19 28 Sep 2020, updated 16:55 28 Sep 2020
- Israel Adesanya knocked out Paulo Costa at UFC 253 on Saturday night
- He addressed the issue of fighters missing weight in his post-fight interview
- A team-mate of his was beaten by a fighter who missed weight earlier on
Israel Adesanya dispatched of Paulo Costa in style at UFC 253 but he wasn’t happy with everything that unfolded on Saturday night.
The middleweight champion defended his title with a second round TKO and went on to dedicate a portion his post-fight interview to addressing a problem he sees in the sport today.ADVERTISEMENT
That was the issue of fighters missing weight, Adesanya clearly unhappy that two fighters had done so on the card.
One of those was Ludovit Klein, who weighed five pounds over for his featherweight victory against Shane Young, who is a teammate of Adesanya at City Kickboxing in New Zealand.
Zubaira Tukhugov missed weight by the same margin for his fight and both men were docked 30 per cent of their pay but Adesanya believes that amount isn’t enough.
‘I told Dana, 30% is not enough. F*** that,’ the 31-year-old said to Jon Anik in the octagon following his win.
‘Some of these guys are gangsters they’re making money outside the UFC. 30 per cent ain’t shit to them.
- ‘So much for Fight of the Year… it was Domination of the Year!’: UFC president Dana White blasts Paulo Costa for ‘weird’ performance in demolition by Israel Adesanya
- ‘It looks like I’ll be coaching boxing again’: Conor McGregor’s long-time trainer John Kavanagh insists super fight with legend of the ring Manny Pacquiao is happening with deal almost signed and sealed
‘So don’t give up that to not make the weight and have 90 minutes to keep on making the weight. And they’re just ‘Ah, f*** it’. They just drink their waters and whatnot.’ADVERTISEMENT
’30 per cent is not enough. Make it 90 per cent and that way I guarantee you they will spend every second in that 90 minutes trying to make the weight and not just bi**h out.